About NIOS Board: NIOS Board is a National Education Board that was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt of India in 1989. The NIOS Board run by the Govt of India is a valid open school educational board where students can take admission in 10th / 12th or vocational courses.
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) offers education to its students through Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode. There are separate Regional Centres and Study Centres for Secondary/ Sr. Secondary and Vocational Courses in every State/ city of India and across the World. Through the NIOS Study Centres and Regional Centres, you may take help in every aspect like in Admission, Study Material, Marksheet, Exam, Study etc.
Those who do not have complete information about the NIOS Board may have some doubts or questions regarding this board such as –
- Is this a recognize board?
- After doing 10th / 12th from this board, can I apply for Govt. job or not?
- Can I give NEET / JEE or any other entrance exam after 12th from NIOS or not?
- If I have failed in 10th / 12th from any other board, then can I save my year from getting wasted by taking admission in the NIOS board?
- After 12th from NIOS Board can I take admission in any college or not?
The answer of all these questions is- YES
What is NIOS Board?
Is NIOS a recognize board? – The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) board is a recognize board. Just like there is CBSE, ICSE or any state board in India, similarly NIOS board is also a valid education board.
If you compare the NIOS board with any other recognized board, then there is only one difference that it is an open schooling board. That is, like other boards, you do not need to go to school in it and you can take online admission in 10th / 12th / vocational courses from home and complete your study.
The only main objective of running NIOS Board by the Government of India has been that no student has to leave his/her studies in between for any reason. Students whose parents are unable to send them to school for any reason can get their child admission in NIOS Board and can complete their studies.
If you are thinking that there will be a lot of fees for admission to NIOS. So I want to tell you that there is a small fee for admission to 10th / 12th and any vocational course in NIOS, about which you will be told further in detail.
NIOS Vs CBSE/ ICSE/ State Board
If you compare NIOS Board with any other board (CBSE / State Board / ICSE) then somewhere you will feel that I too should take admission in 10th / 12th class from this board. This is because NIOS provides a very flexible learning facility to its students.
Let us know whether NIOS is better than other boards or not –
|#||NIOS||CBSE/ State Board|
|Flexible Exam Pattern||Yes||No|
|Mode of Education||Distance||Regular|
Courses in NIOS
What courses does NIOS Board offer?
1. Open Basic Education (OBE) Programme
At Open Basic Education Programme, the NIOS offers 3 levels of courses-
- A Level Course:- equivalent to class III
- B Level Course:- equivalent to class V
- C Level Course:- equivalent to class VIII
2. Secondary Level Course
- In Secondary level course at NIOS, students may choose at least 5 subjects and maximum 7 subjects.
- Get online admission to Secondary Course in NIOS through Stream 1 (Block I & II), Stream 2.
3. Senior Secondary Level Course
- After passing the 10th class, students may take online admission in 12th class in NIOS through Stream 1 (Block I & II), Stream 2.
- Choose at least 5 and maximum 7 subjects.
4. Vocational Courses
- The National Institute of Open Schooling also offers various Vocational Courses of 6 months/ 1 year and 2 years.
- Take online admission in NIOS Vocational Courses throughout the year.
- There are various Vocational Courses for the Literate and after passing 8th/ 10th and 12th class in NIOS.
- You may also take admission to Vocational Course along with 10th/12th class.
There is only online mode to take admission in Class 10, 12 and Vocational Courses in NIOS Board through Stream 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Stream 1 (Block I) Admission:-
- Take online admission in Class 10/ 12 through Stream 1 Block 1 to appear first time in the public exam of March/April 2022.
- Admission Date– Admission remain open from 16 March 2021 – 31 July 2021 without late fees.
Stream 1 (Block II) Admission:-
- To appear first time in the public exam of October/ November 2022, you need to take admission in Class 10/ 12 through Stream 1 Block II.
- Admission Date:- Admission remain open from 16 September 2020 – 31 January 2021 without late fees.
Stream 2 Admission:-
The 10th/ 12th class students of other recognized boards (i.e. CBSE/ ICSE/State Board) who passed or failed in the exam may take admission to NIOS through Stream 2 to upgrade their marks.
- They may choose upto 4 subjects (passed/failed) to upgrade marks.
- Failed students of 10th/ 12th class save their year by appearing in the October/ November public exam.
- Admission Date– Take online admission in NIOS through Stream 2 from 1st May 2021 to 30th June 2021.
- Students who take admission in Class 10/ 12 in NIOS through Stream 2 are not allowed to appear in the On Demand Exam.
Stream 3 Admission:-
The students of other boards who have passed/ failed or not appeared in the Secondary (Class 10) Exam may take online admission through Stream 3 to appear in the On Demand Examination.
- They can’t appear in any Public Examination.
- Can choose upto 4 subjects to upgrade their marks.
- Admission Date– Admission remains open throughout the year.
Stream 4 Admission:-
The 12th class students of other boards who passed/ failed or could not appear in the exam may take admission in NIOS Board through Stream 4 to appear in the On Demand Exam.
- Admission Date– Take admission any time.
- Can choose maximum 4 subjects.
- Can’t appear in Public Exam.
To know the NIOS Online Admission procedure in steps through Stream 1 (Block I & II), Stream 2, 3 and 4, you may read this article.
NIOS Board Exam
The exam pattern in NIOS is very flexible, which is considered very good for students.
- Public Examination: NIOS conducts public examination 2 times in a year (March-April and October-November), in which students of 10th / 12th / vocational courses appear.
- On Demand Exam: Apart from this, NIOS also has ON DEMAND EXAMINATION SYSTEM (ODES), under which students of 10th/ 12th class can give exam of one / two or all subjects at any time of the year. NIOS conducts On Demand Exam every month in a year except for those months when there are public examinations.
Click here to know about NIOS On Demand Exam in detail.
NIOS Board Result
As we have told you earlier that the NIOS board conducts Class 10, Class 12 and Vocational Courses public exam twice a year – in March/April and October/November.
NIOS also conducts On Demand Exam in every month of the year except in March/ April and Oct/Nov month. On these months NIOS conducts public examination.
- Public Exam Result: The NIOS Board Result of Class 10/ Class 12 and Vocational Courses are declared within 5 weeks from the last date of public exam.
- On Demand Result: The NIOS On Demand Exam Result of Class 10/ Class 12 is declared in the very next month of the exam.
You may check latest NIOS Public Exam Result and On Demand Exam Result of Class 10 and Class 12 here.
NIOS Study Material / Books
You must be wondering about how and from where to get the NIOS Study Material of Secondary, Senior Secondary and Vocational Courses.
NIOS provides Study Material/ Books to its students of Class 10/ 12 and Vocational Courses at free of cost.
The National Institute of Open Schooling dispatches the Study Materials to its students on the given address at the time of registration by post.
You may also contact your NIOS Study Centre or Regional Centre for the Study Material. They will also provide you Study Material with no fees.
NIOS Study Centre
There are more than 7500 NIOS Study Centres (AIs/AVIs) in India and across the World. Apart from this, there are also 23 NIOS Regional Centres and 2 Sub Regional Centres in India.
When you register online to get admission in nios board, then you have to select your NIOS Study Center. You have to choose 3 Study Center according to your preference.
If you choose your nearest study center (AI/AVI) then it will be good for you because you can easily go to the center you have chosen and take any help.
After passing the 10th/ 12th or any Vocational Course from the National Institute of Open Schooling, you may obtain your Marksheet from your Study Centre (Accredited Institution).
NIOS prepares and issues the marksheet of only those students who have completely passed their course. In case, if you need duplicate marksheet then you will have to make a payment of Rs.200/- plus postal charges of Rs.100/- through online mode.
You may also download NIOS Marksheet of Class 10/ 12 from DigiLocker.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Question: Does NIOS Board have value?
Answer: Yes, the NIOS Board is a recognized educational board run by Ministry of Education, Government of India.
Question: Can NIOS Student take admission in CBSE Board?
Answer: Yes, the students who have passed the 10th class from NIOS can take admission in 11th Class in CBSE Board or in any board.
Question: Is NIOS Board valid for Government Jobs?
Answer: Yes, the students who passed out from National Institute of Open Schooling are eligible for the Government Jobs.
Question: Can a NIOS Board student give JEE Exam?
Answer: Yes, the 12th passed student in Physics, Chemistry and Maths with 50% marks from NIOS Board can give IIT-JEE exam.
Question: Can I give NIOS and other board exam together?
Answer: NIOS is an Open & Distance Learning board while the CBSE/ any State Board are regular board. So, yes you can give NIOS and Other board exam together.
Question: Can I start a school with NIOS Board?
Answer: Yes, you can apply for Accreditation. To become an Accredited Institution of NIOS, you need to fulfil the criteria whose detail you may find on NIOS official website.
Question: Can I take admission in NIOS from other board?
Answer: Yes, you can take admission in NIOS from any recognized board through Stream 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Question: Can Nepal board students enroll in NIOS Secondary Exam?
Answer: Yes, the student who passed from the Nepal board can get admission to the Secondary Course in NIOS.