What is NIOS Board? The National Institute of Open Schooling is an educational board that is controlled and managed by the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India. All the aspirants who want to get admission in NIOS should know about the admission procedure, courses, admission fees, exam fees etc.
The NIOS Board provides academic Courses at Secondary and Senior Secondary level. Apart from this, it is also providing various Vocational, Life Enrichment courses.
What is NIOS?
The National Institute of Open Schooling, which is the largest Open Schooling System in the World, provides education to its students through Open and Distance Learning (ODL) System. It is a valid board just like any other recognized board in the Country like CBSE, ICSE and ant State Board. The only difference between NIOS and other education boards in India is that NIOS is an Open board while others are regular boards.
This board is an ideal board for all those who are unable to attend school to continue their studies for any reason. They can take admission in NIOS class 10, 12 or any vocational course and can easily complete their studies without going to school.
The main objective of National Institute of Open Schooling is to provide academic education to all the children across India and overseas who are unable to attend school for any reason. In order to promote girl education, the government has given fee concession to girls of all categories for admission to NIOS.
Benefit of NIOS Board
What are the advantages of NIOS? Let’s find out some-
- The examination system is flexible for its students.
- Admissions are open throughout the year.
- Students can appear for exam on the desired date and month through On Demand Exam.
- Other board’s passed or failed students can also upgrade their marks in upto 4 subjects in NIOS.
- Admission fees and exam fees are very nominal.
- No need to quit education if you are unable to attend regular school. Take admission in NIOS and no need to go to school.
- Passed students of NIOS can appear in any competitive exam and can take admission in any University/ College/ Institute.
Admission to class 10, 12 or any course of NIOS can be taken only through online mode. There are Streams in the National Institute of Open Schooling i.e. Stream 1 (Block I&II), Stream 2, Stream 3 and Stream 4, by which you can register for online admission in Class 10, Class 12 courses.
Read Also >> What are Stream 1, 2, 3 and 4 in NIOS?
The admission fee in NIOS has been kept very nominal and study material is given to students for free. By doing this, children from all poor families can get admission to NIOS and can complete their studies easily.
The children of reserved categories are also provided fee concession for admission in any course.
By now, you must have known what is the NIOS and how can you get admission in it. Now, let’s talk about the examination system of this board.
The National Institute of Open Schooling conducts Public Examination and On Demand Examination for the Class 10, 12 students. The examination system in National Institute of Open Schooling is very flexible for its students of Secondary and Senior Secondary level courses.
- Public Examination:- The National Institute of Open Schooling conducts public examination for the 10th, 12th and various Vocational Courses twice in a year i.e. in April and October. To appear in the public exam of 10th and 12th, you need to register online and deposit exam fees. What is exam fees and how to register online for 10th/ 12th public exam in NIOS?
- On Demand Examination:- The National Institute of Open Schooling conducts On Demand Examination for 10th, 12th courses throughout the year except in the month when the public exams are being held. How to register online for On Demand Exam in NIOS?
NIOS Board – Frequently Asked Question
1. What is the full form of NIOS?
Answer: The full form of NIOS is “National Institute of Open Schooling”. Earlier, when it was founded in 1989, it was called as National Institute Schooling (NOS). In 2002, the name was changed to NIOS.
2. What are the courses available in NIOS?
Answer: The NIOS offers various courses – Class 10, Class 12, Vocational Courses, Life enrichment programmes, D.EL.ED. Course etc. There are more than 100 vocational certificate and diploma courses are available in NIOS of 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.
3. Is NIOS board valid?
Answer: Yes, the National Institute of Open Schooling is a valid board which is managed by the Ministry of Education, Government of India.
4. Is NIOS valid for Government jobs?
Answer: Yes, the students who passed out from National Institute of Open Schooling are eligible to apply for Government jobs.
5. Which is better among NIOS, CBSE and ICSE?
Answer: The National Institute of Open Schooling board is well suited for those who are unable to attend classes on regular basis. On the other hand, CBSE and ICSE or any other State boards are regular boards. All these boards (NIOS, CBSE, ICSE) are recognized boards.